This year's conferences
UCLA CENTER FOR THE STUDY OF WOMEN presents
THINKING GENDER 2016
26th Annual Graduate Student Research Conference
April 6, 11:30 am to 6 pm
April 7, 8 am to 6 pm
PLACE: Grand Horizon Ballroom, Covel Commons, UCLA
Check back of rmore info!
Call For Applications:
2016 Thinking Gender Conference Coordinator
The Center for the Study of Women (CSW) seeks applications for the 2016 Thinking Gender Conference Coordinator. This position offers a rare opportunity to plan and facilitate an internationally recognized graduate student research conference. Thinking Gender is an annual public conference that draws scholars from across the disciplines—humanities, social sciences, life sciences, arts, law, education, public health, and public policy—to share research on women, sexuality and gender. The 2016 conference will be held on April 7 and 8, 2016. To find information on past events, please visit our website at csw.ucla.edu/conferences/thinking-gender.
This position provides a 25% Graduate Student Researcher (GSR) appointment and fee remission for Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters of the 2015-16 academic year. According to Graduate Division requirements, GSRs must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 units and hold a cumulative GPA of 3.0 at the time of appointment.
Under the supervision of CSW Director and in collaboration with the CSW Programming Coordinator, the conference coordinator will:
· Participate in planning an international, interdisciplinary conference
· Research and enact conference themes
· Review and critique all submission abstracts, as well as head the selection committee
· Build a professional network with prominent researchers and activists, including UCLA scholars
· Curate conference panels, presentations, and workshops around conference topics
· Write articles and briefs for electronic distribution to an academic audience
· Hone skills in financial development/support in an academic environment
· Interact with high-level university administrators
· Spearhead outreach initiatives to disseminate conference research
· Participate in the development of selected conference papers for publication
Ability to work as part of a team and to maintain cooperative working relationships. Demonstrated organizational skills. Experience in attending or participating in research conferences. Experience with networking and outreach. Ability to maintain a professional demeanor in demanding situations.
Hours are flexible but maintaining a reliable work schedule is essential. Coordinator must be available for the conference dates and for the crucial weeks preceding the conference.
While the applicant’s personal academic interests should be compatible with CSW’s core research on women, sexuality and gender, we encourage students in any discipline to apply.
Submit CV, cover letter, unofficial transcript, and 2 letters of recommendation via uclacsw.submittable.com. At least one letter of recommendation must be from a UCLA faculty member.
If selected for interview, please be prepared to suggest and discuss possible topics/themes for the conference.