This year's conferences
Call for Applications
2015 Thinking Gender Conference Coordinator
The Center for the Study of Women (CSW) seeks applications for the 2015 Thinking Gender Conference Coordinator. This position is a rare opportunity to plan and facilitate an internationally recognized graduate student research conference.
Thinking Gender is an annual public conference that draws scholars from across the disciplines—humanities, social sciences, life sciences, arts, law, education, public health, and public policy—to share research on gender, sexuality, and women’s issues. The 2015 conference will be held on April 23 and 24. To find information on past events, please visit our website at http://www.csw.ucla.edu/conferences-1/thinking-gender
Details and Compensation: This appointment is for the Fall (effective October 1), Winter, and Spring quarters of the 2014-2015 academic year. It provides a 25% GSR appointment in Fall and Spring and a 50% GSR appointment in Winter. It also provides fee remission for all three quarters. As per Graduate Division stipulations, GSRs must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 units and hold a cumulative GPA of 3.0 at the time of appointment.
The position allows for a flexible but reliable work schedule. Coordinator must be available for the conference dates, as well as the majority of its crucial preceding weeks in Spring Quarter.
The qualified applicant’s characteristics include: a desire to work in a collaborative environment, the ability to stay organized, experience attending or participating in conferences, comfort and capability in networking, and the ability to maintain a professional demeanor in demanding situations.
Applicant’s academic interests should be compatible with CSW’s core research on women, sexuality and gender, and we encourage students in all disciplines to apply.
Job Responsibilities: Under the supervision of CSW Director and in collaboration with the CSW Programming Coordinator, the conference coordinator will:
• Participate in planning an international, interdisciplinary conference
• Research and enact 2015 conference themes
• Review and critique all research abstracts, as well as head the selection committee
• Receive valuable feedback on personal research
• Network with UCLA scholars
• Build a professional network with prominent researchers and activists
• Curate conference panels, presentations and workshops around research topics
• Write articles and briefs for electronic distribution to an academic audience
• Hone skills in financial development/support in an academic environment
• Interact with university administrators
• Spearhead conference outreach initiatives to disseminate conference research
• Participate in the development of an edited volume of conference research papers
To apply: Submit CV, cover letter, unofficial transcript, and 2 letters of recommendation to email@example.com. At least one letter of recommendation must be from a UCLA faculty member. Recommenders may submit letters in hard copy to the CSW office, or via official university email address to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note on your cover letter how you heard about this position.
Deadline: Application materials (including recommendations) must be received by 11:59 pm PST on September 15, 2014. Only complete applications will be considered.
If selected for interview, please be prepared to suggest and discuss possible topics/themes for the conference.